California Arts Council Tax Check Off Sent to Governor
California taxpayers could voluntarily give money to support the state’s Arts Council under legislation sent y the Senate to Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger on August 25.
The 40-member Senate sent the measure, SB 1076 by Sen. Curren Price, an Inglewood Democrat, to the GOP governor on a 24 o 8 vote.
On August 24, the Assembly sent a similar voluntary check off bill to Schwarzenegger, this one to benefit the state’s veterans’ homes.
Created in 1975 by then Gov. Jerry Brown, the 11-member Arts Council is charged with promoting arts in California.
Its budget has been reduced by some 80 percent since the fiscal year that ended June 30, 2002.
Schwarzenegger proposes $5.7 million for the council in his budget proposal, 5 percent less than last year.
If signed into law by Schwarzenegger the check off won’t appear on tax forms until one of the current 15 drop off either through expiration or by not meeting the annual minimum of $250,000 in contributions.
The current 15 are:
1. Alzheimer’s Disease/Related Disorders Fund
2. California Breast Cancer Research Fund
3. California Firefighters’ Memorial Fund
4. California Fund for Senior Citizens
5. California Military Family Relief Fund
6. California Peace Officer Memorial Foundation Fund
7. California Sea Otter Fund
8. Emergency Food for Families Fund
9. Rare and Endangered Species Preservation Fund
10. State Children’s Trust for the Prevention of Child Abuse
11. ALS/Lou Gehrig’s Disease Research Fund
12. California Cancer Center Research Fund
13. California Ovarian Cancer Research Fund
14. California Seniors Special Fund
15. Municipal Shelter Spay and Neuter Fund
August 25 is the 56th day of the new fiscal year for which no budget has been enacted. The Legislature is required by the constitution to send the governor a spending plan by June 15, two weeks before the start of the fiscal year.
Filed under: Legislature/Legislation
- Capitol Cliches (16)
- Conversational Currency (3)
- Great Moments in Capitol History (4)
- News (1,288)
- Opinionation (36)
- Overheard (246)
- Today's Latin Lesson (45)
- Restaurant Raconteur (21)
- Spotlight (110)
- Trip to Tokyo (8)
- Venting (184)
- Warren Buffett (43)
- Welcome (1)
- Words That Aren't Heard in Committee Enough (11)